The Federation (TVF) exists to provide a focal point for inter-society aspects of philately and promotion of the hobby in the Thames Valley and District. It aims to do this through:
- Promotion of annual inter-Society competitions at various levels;
- Organisation of events such as seminars and workshops on subjects that will appeal to a wide range of collectors;
- Organisation of an annual inter-Society Quiz;
- Dissemination of information about Society events and programmes;
- Publicising local Stamp Fairs and Auctions.
The Federation is also responsible for co-ordination of entries to the inter-Federation Competition held each year.
In addition, the TVF acts as an interface to other Federations, and will respond to requests for provision of judges for Federation competitions.
The Federation is managed through a Council formed of representatives elected by the constituent Societies. It has a written Constitution and documented Competition Rules. The Officers of the Council are elected each year by the Council members.
Affiliated to the Association of British Philatelic Societies